Dear Aspirants, Notesbag is sharing with you all the important current affairs of 3rd and 4th November 2019. Our aim to provide you up to date current affairs for the preparation of upcoming competitive exams.
(1) Government of India to Set Up & Strengthen AHTUs & WHDs in States Across the Country.
- The Government has announced setting up Anti-Human Trafficking Units (AHTUs ) & Women Help Desks (WHD) in all districts with the help of Nirbhaya Fund.
- The empowered committee (EC) under Nirbhaya framework has recommended setting up anti-human trafficking units and women help desks at a cost of 100 crores rupees each to be fully funded by the centre. Nirbhaya Fund was announced by the Centre in 2013 to support the initiatives of the government and the NGOs working towards the safety of women.
(2) ‘Sawasdee PM Modi’ organised in Thailand.
- ‘Sawasdee PM Modi’ event is being organised by Thai Indians in coordination with the Indian Embassy in Bangkok. This comes after the ‘Howdy Modi’ event in US’ Houston, which was attended by more than 50,000 people on September 23.
(3) Amit Shah to inaugurate SCO joint exercise on Search, Rescue “SCOJTEX-2019”.
- Amit Shah will inaugurate the Shanghai Cooperation Organization Joint Exercise on Urban Earthquake Search and Rescue -SCOJtEx-2019 in New Delhi on 4th of November 2019.
- National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) is hosting the event which will continue till November 7. The main focus of Joint Exercise on Urban will be to test the region’s preparedness and resilience towards effective activation of Inter-governmental interaction for immediate response. All the eight-member countries of SCO namely China, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan will participate in this exercise.
(4) First container cargo on Brahmaputra (National Waterway -2) will sail from 4th of November.
- The first ever containerised cargo movement via Indo-Bangladesh protocol route and Brahmaputra river will start from West Bengal’s Haldia from Monday 4th November 2019.
- The vessel MV Maheshwari, carrying 53 containers of petrochemicals, edible oil and beverage will take 12-15 days to reach the IWAI terminal at Pandu in Assam’s Guwahati.
- The vessel will sail through national waterway-1 (river Ganga), NW-97 (Sunderbans), Indo-Bangladesh protocol route and NW-2 (river Brahmaputra).
(5) 5th India International Science Festival will be organised in Kolkata.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the Fifth India International Science Festival by addressing the audience at Biswa Bangla Convention Centre, Kolkata through video conference 5th of November 2019. The festival will continue till 8th of this month.
- The prime objective of the festival is to instil scientific temper among the masses. It will showcase India’s contribution in the field of science and technology over the years and encourage translation of its benefits to people. Its aim is also to build a strategy for inclusive advancement of Science and Technology.
(6) Robotic surgery facility inaugurated at Safdarjung Hospital.
- Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan has dedicated to the nation the robotic surgery facility at the Safdarjung Hospital in New Delhi.
- This latest facility is free of cost for all poor patients of euro-oncological cancers like prostate, kidney, bladder cancers and kidney failures. Robotic surgery has the advantage of providing minimally invasive surgery, reducing significantly the morbidity and mortality of critically ill, cancer and kidney failure patients.
(7) 8th meeting of the IndoGerman Energy Forum was held in Delhi.
- The 8th meeting of the Indo-German Energy Forum (IGEF) was concluded on 1 November 2019 in New Delhi. The Forum finalized the roadmap for future collaboration between the two countries, including the Flexibilisation of existing coal-fired power plants. It will also promote niche markets for Solar Energy, energy efficiency in buildings through ECBC, building materials, and credit lines for financing corresponding measures and RE evacuation through transmission grid infrastructure.
(8) India, Uzbekistan signed 3 MoUs in fields of Military Medicine and Military Education.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh held bilateral consultations with his Uzbekistan counterpart Major General Bakhodir Nizamovich Kurbanov during his three-day visit to Tashkent from 1st of November.
- The two sides concluded an MoU on cooperation in the field of Military Medicine between the Armed Forces of the two countries.
- Two Institution-to-Institution MoUs on training and capacity building between institutes of higher military learning of the two countries were also signed. The MoU is a byproduct of interactions emanating from the MoU on Military Education signed between the two countries in October 2018
(9) Germany to invest €1 billion for green urban mobility in India.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Saturday pledged to invest €1 billion over the next five years on environmentally-friendly urban mobility in India. Germany would also put in €200 million to reform the bus sector in Tamil Nadu.
(10) Serbia’s Sara Damnjanovic crowned Miss Asia Global 2019.
- Sara Damnjanovic from Serbia was crowned ‘Miss Asia Global 2019’ at the international beauty contest held in Kerala.
- Vietnam’s Nguyen Thi Yen Trang was crowned ‘Miss Asia’, while Samiksha Singh from India won the sub-title of ‘Miss Beautiful Face’.
- Asia Global is one of the three beauty pageant contests in India which doesn’t have a bikini and other similar rounds.
(11) Russia’s ‘sovereign internet’ law came into effect.
- Russia’s “sovereign Internet” law, that lets the country’s government cut off its network from the rest of the World Wide Web, came into effect.
- the law would essentially shield Russia’s “independent” internet from external influences like hacking attacks and global blackouts. Thousands of Russians had protested against the bill in March.
(12) Agra, (UP) to host first-ever Global Taj International Film Festival.
- Agra will host the first-ever Global Taj International Film Festival from November 15-17 and films from around 10 countries will be showcased at the festival. The final screening will have films from India and six other countries.
Banking & Finance
(13) Google to acquire wearable device maker Fitbit for $2.1 billion.
- Google agreed to acquire US wearable device maker Fitbit, which has 28 million active users, for $2.1 billion. Google will not use Fitbit’s health and wellness data Google ads.
(14) UPI crossed 1 billion transactions for the first time in October 2019.
- The number of transactions via the Unified Payment Interface (UPI) crossed the one billion mark in October for the first time since its launch in 2016. Around 1.15 billion transactions worth ₹1.91 lakh crore were made in October, compared to 960 million transactions worth ₹1.46 lakh crore in September. As per RBI, UPI transactions overtook debit card transactions in 2018-19.
(15) Guyana to be fastest growing country in the world next year at 86%: IMF.
- South America’s Guyana, a country of 780,000, will experience the world’s fastest economic growth in 2020 driven by ExxonMobil’s discovery of oil, according to IMF.
- Its GDP is expected to grow 86% next year after expanding 4.4% this year. Guyana is projecting $300 million in petroleum revenue in 2020 as ExxonMobil starts pumping from its first oil well next month.
(16) India-Uzbekistan Joint military Exercise – Dustlik-2019.
- India-Uzbekistan Joint military Exercise – Dustlik-2019 to begin at Chirchiq near Tashkent on 4th of Nove 2019.
- The joint military exercise focused on counter-terrorism starts on Monday 4th November and will continue till November 13, at Chirchiq Training Area near Tashkent. In the exercise, an Indian Army contingent will train along with Uzbekistan Army.
Science & Technology
(17) ISRO to help IIT-D set up research cell for 1st human space mission.
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi has tied up with national space agency ISRO to set up a research centre that will carry out projects in space technology.
- The centre is also aimed at providing scientific solutions to India’s first human space mission Gaganyaan and other future missions. IIT-Delhi is celebrating its 50th convocation day.
(18) Justice Ajay Kumar Mittal sworn in as Chief Justice of MP High Court.
- Justice Ajay Kumar Mittal was sworn in as the Chief Justice of Madhya Pradesh High Court. Governor Lalji Tandon administered him the oath of office at Raj Bhavan.
(19) Rajinikanth to receive Special Icon award at IFFI.
- In a first, the Government of India has constituted a special award titled ‘Icon of Golden Jubilee of IFFI’ which will be conferred upon the eminent film personality Shri S Rajinikanth.
- The Information and Broadcasting Ministry also announced that Life Time Achievement Award for a Foreign Artiste will be conferred on French Actress Isabelle Hupert.
(20) Sudarsan Pattnaik (Sand artist) to receive Italian Golden Sand Art Award 2019.
- Sand artist and Padma Shri awardee Sudarsan Pattnaik has been selected for the Italian Golden Sand Art Award 2019. He will be honoured at the International Scorrana Sand Nativity in Italy scheduled to be held from November 13 to 18. As many as eight sculptors will participate in this festival and Pattnaik will represent India at the event.
(21) South Africa won Rugby World Cup.
- South Africa lifted the Rugby World Cup 2019 title after defeating England 32-12 in the final at Yokohama on Saturday. This is the third time that the South African team has won the trophy equalling New Zealand’s record. Siya Kolisi became the first black captain from South Africa to lift rugby’s Webb Ellis Cup.