Know All About Kedarnath Temple and Char Dham Yatra In Uttarakhand 2023
Hello Friends, here in this blog i am going to tell you about Kedarnath Temple and Char Dham Yatra In Uttarakhand in the year 2023. But first here Below is the brief Intro of Kedarnath Temple:-
Kedarnath Temple and Char Dham Yatra Brief Introduction 2023
Kedarnath Temple is a Hindu temple located in the Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand, India. It is one of the four sacred shrines in Hinduism known as the Char Dham Yatra, which also includes Badrinath, Gangotri, and Yamunotri. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is believed to have been built by the Pandavas during the Mahabharata era.
The Kedarnath Temple is situated at an altitude of 3,583 meters (11,755 feet) above sea level, making it one of the highest temples in the world. It is surrounded by snow-capped mountains and is located near the Mandakini River. The temple is open to devotees only between the months of April to November due to the extreme weather conditions in the winter months.
The Kedarnath Yatra is a pilgrimage to the Kedarnath Temple and is considered to be one of the most important Hindu pilgrimages in India. The Yatra starts from the town of Gaurikund, which is located at an altitude of 1,982 meters (6,503 feet) above sea level. From Gaurikund, devotees have to trek a distance of 16 kilometers (9.9 miles) to reach the Kedarnath Temple.
The trek is considered to be quite challenging as it involves steep climbs and descents, narrow paths, and unpredictable weather conditions. However, the natural beauty of the region and the spiritual significance of the journey attract thousands of devotees every year.
During the Yatra, devotees also visit other important shrines such as Triyuginarayan Temple, where Lord Shiva is believed to have married Parvati, and the Vasuki Tal, a high altitude lake surrounded by beautiful mountains. The Kedarnath Yatra is not only a religious journey but also an adventure that provides a unique and unforgettable experience to the devotees.
Registration for Kedarnath Temple Yatra or Char Dham Yatra
The registration process for the Kedarnath Temple Yatra or Char Dham Yatra can vary depending on the rules and regulations set by the Uttarakhand government. It is important to check the latest guidelines before planning a pilgrimage.
In general, pilgrims can register for the Yatra online through the official website of the Uttarakhand government’s Char Dham Yatra portal (https://www.chardhamtourism.co.in/). The website provides information on the registration process, necessary documents, and fees.
Pilgrims can also register for the Yatra offline by visiting the designated registration centers in the major cities of India or the Char Dham Yatra registration counters in Uttarakhand. The offline registration process requires filling out a registration form, submitting necessary documents, and paying the registration fee.
It is advisable to register for the Yatra in advance to avoid last-minute rush and ensure a smooth pilgrimage. Pilgrims should also carry valid photo identification documents such as Aadhaar card, passport, or driving license, and medical certificates for any pre-existing health conditions.
Best Time to Visit Kedarnath Temple and Char Dham Yatra
The best time to visit Kedarnath Temple and embark on the Char Dham Yatra is during the summer months from May to June and from September to October. During these months, the weather is pleasant, and the region experiences clear skies, making it perfect for outdoor activities and sightseeing.
During May and June, the weather is warm, and the snow has melted, making it easier to access the temple and other shrines. The monsoon season in July and August brings heavy rainfall and landslides, making it challenging to travel in the region. Hence, it is not recommended to visit Kedarnath Temple and Char Dham Yatra during these months.
September and October are also good months to visit Kedarnath Temple and Char Dham Yatra as the weather is pleasant, and the crowds are less compared to the summer months. The autumn season brings beautiful foliage, and the region looks picturesque during this time. However, after October, the weather starts to get cold, and the region experiences snowfall, making it difficult to access the shrines.
It is advisable to check the weather conditions and the latest travel advisory before planning a trip to Kedarnath Temple and Char Dham Yatra, as the weather and road conditions can be unpredictable.
How To Reach Kedarnath Form Haridwar and From Your Location
To Reach Kedarnath form Your Location first you need to reach either Haridwar or Dehradun for which you can use Train, flight and by your Personal Vehicle. Here below are some mode of transportation and way to travel to Haridwar from your location. Here i am considering Delhi as your location as it is connected by all India and if you are coming from Middle, East, West and South India you need to pass through Delhi so that why i am using Delhi as the Location.
- By Train: Haridwar has its own railway station, and many trains connect Delhi to Haridwar daily. You can take a direct train from New Delhi Railway Station or Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station to Haridwar Junction Railway Station. The journey takes around 4 to 6 hours, depending on the train you choose.The train fare from Delhi to Haridwar varies depending on the class of travel, train type, and availability of seats. Here are the approximate train fares for different classes:
- AC First Class (1A) – INR 2500-3000
- AC 2 Tier (2A) – INR 1200-1600
- AC 3 Tier (3A) – INR 900-1200
- Sleeper Class (SL) – INR 300-500
Please note that the actual train fare may differ based on the specific train, season, and time of booking. It is always advisable to check the train fare and availability on the Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) or through a travel agent before booking your tickets.
- By Bus: There are regular bus services from Delhi to Haridwar operated by both government and private bus operators. You can take a bus from Delhi’s Kashmiri Gate bus terminal, which takes around 5 to 6 hours to reach Haridwar. You can also book a private taxi or hire a car for a more comfortable journey. Fare of Private Taxi depends on your bargaining.The bus fare from Delhi to Haridwar varies depending on the type of bus and operator. Here are the approximate bus fares for different types of buses:
- Ordinary or Non-AC buses – INR 200-400
- Deluxe or AC buses – INR 400-600
- Volvo or Luxury buses – INR 800-1200
Please note that the actual bus fare may differ based on the specific operator, season, and time of booking. It is always advisable to check the bus fare and availability with the respective operator or through a travel agent before booking your tickets. Also, keep in mind that the travel time by bus is longer than the train, taking around 5-6 hours to reach Haridwar from Delhi, depending on the traffic and road conditions.
- By Air: The nearest airport to Haridwar is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun, which is around 35 km away from Haridwar. There are regular flights from Delhi to Dehradun, and from there, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to Haridwar.The airfare from Delhi to Dehradun varies depending on the airline, season, and time of booking. Here are the approximate airfares for different airlines:
- Air India – INR 3000-5000 (one way)
- IndiGo – INR 2000-4000 (one way)
- SpiceJet – INR 2000-4000 (one way)
- Vistara – INR 2500-5000 (one way)
Please note that the actual airfare may differ based on the specific airline, season, and time of booking. It is always advisable to check the airfare and availability on the respective airline’s website or through a travel agent before booking your tickets. The flight from Delhi to Dehradun takes around 1 hour. From Dehradun, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Haridwar, which is approximately 35 km away.
How to Reach From Haridwar to Kedarnath
To reach Kedarnath from Haridwar, you can take the following route:
- By Road: The most common way to reach Kedarnath from Haridwar is by road. From Haridwar, you can take a taxi, private car, or a shared jeep to reach Gaurikund, which is the base camp for the trek to Kedarnath. The distance between Haridwar and Gaurikund is approximately 215 km, and it takes around 7-8 hours to cover this distance. From Gaurikund, you need to trek for approximately 16 km to reach Kedarnath. Alternatively, you can also take a helicopter from Phata, which is approximately 50 km from Gaurikund, to Kedarnath.The private taxi fare from Haridwar to Sonprayag varies depending on the type of vehicle and the operator. Here is an approximate fare for different types of vehicles:
- Sedan car (such as Maruti Swift Dzire or Toyota Etios) – INR 12000-15000
- SUV (such as Toyota Innova or Mahindra Scorpio) – INR 15000-20000
- Tempo Traveller (12-seater) – INR 8000 (per day)
- By Train: There is no direct train from Haridwar to Kedarnath. The nearest railway station to Kedarnath is in Rishikesh, which is approximately 215 km from Kedarnath. From Rishikesh, you can take a taxi or a shared jeep to reach Gaurikund, and then trek to Kedarnath.
Accommodation Facility in Haridwar and Kedarnath Char dham Yatra
There are various accommodation options available in Haridwar and Kedarnath during the Char Dham Yatra.
In Haridwar, you can find a wide range of accommodation options ranging from budget to luxury hotels. Some of the popular budget hotels in Haridwar are Hotel Trishul, Hotel Ganga Vilas, and Hotel Kapoor. For luxury accommodations, you can consider Aalia Resort, Radisson Blu Hotel Haridwar, and The Haveli Hari Ganga.
In Kedarnath, there are several accommodation options available for pilgrims, including government guesthouses and private hotels. The government guesthouses are run by the Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam (GMVN) and offer basic facilities such as electricity, hot water, and food. Some of the popular government guesthouses in Kedarnath are GMVN Kedarnath Tourist Rest House, GMVN Bhairav Guest House, and GMVN Govind Ghat Tourist Rest House.
GMVN (Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam) operates several guesthouses and tourist rest houses in Gaurikund and Kedarnath. The accommodation options provided by GMVN are affordable and offer basic facilities such as electricity, hot water, and food.
Here are the approximate tariff rates for GMVN guesthouses in Gaurikund and Kedarnath:
- GMVN Gaurikund Tourist Rest House – INR 700-800 per night for a double bedded room
- GMVN Kedarnath Tourist Rest House – INR 1200-1400 per night for a double bedded room
- GMVN Bhairav Guest House Kedarnath – INR 1000-1200 per night for a double bedded room
- GMVN Govind Ghat Tourist Rest House – INR 700-800 per night for a double bedded room
Please note that the tariff rates may vary depending on the specific guesthouse, season, and availability. It is advisable to check the latest tariff rates and availability with GMVN before booking your accommodation. You can book GMVN guesthouses online through the official website or through travel agents.
For private hotels, you can consider Hotel Kedar Palace, Hotel Punjab Sindh Awas, and Hotel Bikaner House. These hotels offer comfortable accommodation with facilities such as hot water, electricity, and room service.
During the peak season (May to June and September to October), it is advisable to book your accommodation in advance to avoid any last-minute hassles. It is also recommended to check the reviews and ratings of the accommodation options before booking to ensure a comfortable stay.
Gaurikund to Kedarnath Tracking Details
The trek from Gaurikund to Kedarnath is a popular pilgrimage route in India, particularly among devotees of Lord Shiva. The trek covers a distance of approximately 16 km and can take anywhere from 6-8 hours to complete, depending on one’s physical fitness and pace.
There are several ways to track your journey from Gaurikund to Kedarnath, depending on your preferences and needs. Here are some of the options:
- GPS tracking apps: There are several GPS tracking apps available for smartphones, such as Google Maps, MapMyHike, and AllTrails. These apps use your phone’s GPS to track your location and provide real-time updates on your progress. You can also use these apps to plan your route ahead of time and download offline maps in case you lose internet connectivity.
- Trekking guides: Hiring a local trekking guide is a popular option for those who are new to the area or are not confident in their navigation skills. Guides are typically knowledgeable about the local terrain and can provide useful information about the trail, landmarks, and points of interest along the way.
- Physical maps: Carrying a physical map of the area can be useful for backup in case your phone battery dies or you lose internet connectivity. You can purchase detailed topographical maps of the area from local bookstores or online retailers.
- Signposts and markers: The trek from Gaurikund to Kedarnath is a well-trodden path, and there are several signposts and markers along the way to guide you. Look out for painted arrows, cairns (piles of rocks), and boards with directional information.
Remember to stay hydrated, carry snacks and sufficient warm clothing, and follow all safety precautions while trekking. Happy journey!
Budget for Kedarnath Temple Yatra
The budget for Kedarnath Temple Yatra can vary depending on a number of factors, such as your mode of transportation, accommodation choices, and food preferences. Here are some approximate costs to help you plan your budget:
- Transportation: The most common way to reach Kedarnath Temple is by trekking from Gaurikund, which is accessible by road from major cities such as Rishikesh and Haridwar. Alternatively, you can also take a helicopter from Phata or Guptkashi. The cost of the helicopter ride can vary from approximately INR 3,000 to INR 7,000 per person, depending on the season and demand.
- Accommodation: There are several budget-friendly guesthouses and lodges available in Kedarnath and nearby towns such as Guptkashi and Rudraprayag. The cost of a basic room can range from INR 500 to INR 1,500 per night, depending on the season and availability.
- Food: There are several small restaurants and food stalls along the trekking route and in Kedarnath town. The cost of a basic meal can range from INR 100 to INR 300 per person, depending on the type of food and restaurant.
- Miscellaneous expenses: You may also incur additional expenses such as entry fees to the temple complex, pony or mule rides, and personal expenses such as toiletries and snacks. These costs can vary depending on your preferences and needs.
Overall, a budget of INR 5,000 to INR 10,000 per person should be sufficient for a 2-3 day Kedarnath Temple Yatra, depending on your choices and preferences. However, it’s always a good idea to have some extra cash on hand for unexpected expenses or emergencies.
Places to Visit Near Kedarnath Temple
- Triyuginarayan Temple: Located approximately 25 km from Kedarnath Temple, Triyuginarayan Temple is believed to be the place where Lord Shiva married Goddess Parvati. The temple is situated amidst scenic surroundings and is a popular pilgrimage site.
- Vasuki Tal: Vasuki Tal is a high altitude lake located approximately 8 km from Kedarnath Temple. The trek to Vasuki Tal is challenging, but the panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and the lake’s crystal clear waters make it worth the effort.
- Gandhi Sarovar: Gandhi Sarovar is a glacial lake situated at an altitude of 4,000 meters above sea level, approximately 4 km from Kedarnath Temple. The lake is named after Mahatma Gandhi, who visited the region in the early 1900s. The trek to Gandhi Sarovar is a popular one among trekkers and offers stunning views of the surrounding peaks.
- Gaurikund: Gaurikund is the starting point of the trek to Kedarnath Temple and is situated approximately 20 km from the temple. The town is named after Goddess Parvati and is believed to be the place where she performed penance to win Lord Shiva’s heart.
- Sonprayag: Sonprayag is a scenic town located at the confluence of the rivers Basuki and Mandakini, approximately 20 km from Kedarnath Temple. The town is known for its natural beauty and is a popular stopover for pilgrims and tourists alike.
These are just a few of the many places to visit near Kedarnath Temple. Make sure to plan your trip well in advance and check weather conditions before embarking on any treks or hikes.
Also Read :- Ten Temples You Must Visit in Uttarakhand