Neelkanth Mahadev Yatra All You Want to Know
Neelkanth Mahadev Yatra is a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva located in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. It is situated at an altitude of 1,330 meters (4,360 feet) above sea level in the midst of the picturesque forest of the Himalayas, near the town of Rishikesh.
According to Hindu mythology, Neelkanth Mahadev is the place where Lord Shiva consumed the poison that emerged from the churning of the ocean by the gods and demons. The poison turned his throat blue, hence his name Neelkanth (blue-throated). The temple is considered one of the most sacred pilgrimage sites for devotees of Lord Shiva in India.
The temple is surrounded by lush green forests and is located near the confluence of the rivers Pankaja and Madhumati. It is believed that a dip in the holy water of these rivers can purify the soul and wash away sins. The temple is also popular among trekkers and adventure enthusiasts as it offers a scenic trekking route through the dense forest of the Himalayas.
Neelkanth Mahadev is a popular tourist destination and attracts visitors from all over the world. The temple is open throughout the year, but the best time to visit is during the months of February to April and August to November. During the festival of Maha Shivratri, the temple witnesses a huge influx of devotees who come to offer their prayers to Lord Shiva.
How to reach Neelkanth Mahadev
Neelkanth Mahadev can be reached via different modes of transportation. Here are the options:
- By Road: Neelkanth Mahadev is located approximately 32 kilometers from the town of Rishikesh. Regular buses and taxis are available from Rishikesh to Neelkanth Mahadev. The journey takes around 1.5 to 2 hours.
- By Train: The nearest railway station to Neelkanth Mahadev is Haridwar, which is approximately 50 kilometers away. Haridwar is well connected to major cities in India. From Haridwar, you can take a bus or hire a taxi to Neelkanth Mahadev.
- By Air: The nearest airport to Neelkanth Mahadev is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun, which is approximately 45 kilometers away. From the airport, you can hire a taxi to Neelkanth Mahadev.
Once you reach Neelkanth Mahadev, you need to trek for around 1.5 kilometers to reach the temple. The trek is scenic and takes you through the dense forest of the Himalayas. You can also hire a pony or a palanquin to reach the temple if you do not want to trek.
Neelkanth Mahadev Yatra Budget
The budget for a Neelkanth Mahadev Yatra depends on various factors such as mode of transportation, accommodation, food, and other expenses. Here is a rough estimate of the budget for a Neelkanth Mahadev Yatra:
- Transportation: The cost of transportation depends on the mode of travel. If you are traveling by bus from Rishikesh to Neelkanth Mahadev, it will cost around INR 100-150 per person. If you are hiring a taxi, it can cost anywhere between INR 1000-2000 depending on the type of vehicle and the bargaining skills. If you are coming from Dehradun, the taxi fare will be higher.
- Accommodation: There are a few budget-friendly hotels and guesthouses near Neelkanth Mahadev that offer basic amenities. The cost of accommodation can vary from INR 500-1500 per night depending on the type of room and facilities.
- Food: There are a few restaurants and food stalls near Neelkanth Mahadev that offer vegetarian food. The cost of food can vary from INR 100-300 per meal.
- Other expenses: Other expenses include the cost of trekking gear (if you do not have your own), entry fees (if any), and miscellaneous expenses such as tips and donations.
In general, a budget of INR 2500-3500 per person for a 2-3 day trip should be sufficient for a Neelkanth Mahadev Yatra. However, this can vary depending on your preferences and travel style.
Places to visit near Neelkanth Mahadev
Neelkanth Mahadev is a famous Hindu temple located in the Pauri Garhwal district of Uttarakhand, India. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is situated at an altitude of 1,330 meters above sea level, amidst the scenic beauty of the Himalayas. Here are some places to visit near Neelkanth Mahadev:
- Rishikesh: Rishikesh is a popular tourist destination located about 20 km from Neelkanth Mahadev. The town is known for its yoga and meditation centers, adventure sports, and temples. Some popular places to visit in Rishikesh include Laxman Jhula, Ram Jhula, Triveni Ghat, Parmarth Niketan, and Beatles Ashram.
- Haridwar: Haridwar is a holy city located about 50 km from Neelkanth Mahadev. The city is famous for its ghats, temples, and the Kumbh Mela, which is held every 12 years. Some popular places to visit in Haridwar include Har Ki Pauri, Chandi Devi Temple, Mansa Devi Temple, and Maya Devi Temple.
- Dehradun: Dehradun is the capital city of Uttarakhand and is located about 60 km from Neelkanth Mahadev. The city is known for its scenic beauty, educational institutions, and tourist attractions. Some popular places to visit in Dehradun include Robber’s Cave, Sahastradhara, Tapkeshwar Temple, and Forest Research Institute.
- Mussoorie: Mussoorie is a hill station located about 90 km from Neelkanth Mahadev. The town is known for its scenic beauty, waterfalls, and viewpoints. Some popular places to visit in Mussoorie include Kempty Falls, Gun Hill, Lal Tibba, and Mussoorie Lake.
- Lansdowne: Lansdowne is a cantonment town located about 100 km from Neelkanth Mahadev. The town is known for its scenic beauty, historic sites, and adventure sports. Some popular places to visit in Lansdowne include Bhulla Lake, St. Mary’s Church, Tip-in-Top, and Darwan Singh Museum.
Also Read :- Ten Temples You Must Visit in Uttarakhand